I’m loving my new found passion for quick and easy meals. I’m getting a lot of inspiration from Jamie’s 15 minute meals, Yummly and Good Food books but always like to slightly change them according to my tastes as I find some of them quite bland.
Laksa is always a hit with Beardy and me. I tried this on the kids the other night, dreading what the reaction would be, as I do with all new food, but was pleasantly surprised. I altered this slightly for them and then added extra bits to it after for ours (ours is the yummier looking picture!).
The kids version didn’t have cayenne pepper or peanut butter in (Boo doesn’t like it – seriously, who doesn’t like peanut butter?!) and I knew they’d moan about the ‘bits of grass in it’ if I put the coriander in so omitted that too, but the rest was the same and was eaten happily by both. Also, I totally forgot that Boo has decided she doesn’t like prawns anymore so I had to take the prawns out for her, hers ended up being ‘Broccoli and not much else Laksa!’
Not much point in asking Boo for her marks out of 10 because if she likes it, it’s always 10 hundred out of 10 (which is what she said about this) and if she doesn’t like it it’s a 9, which is still, in my books, a pretty successful meal! Bear gave it 6, so not a massive hit but he still ate it without moaning and said he would again ‘if he had to’! Charming!
Personally I could definitely have this on my menu every week!
- Prawns (I buy them ready cooked so I just have to chuck them in at the end to heat through)
- 0.5 ltr chicken stock
- Ginger – grated (about the size of your thumb)
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 6 spring onions (chopped)
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- A good handful of Coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tin of Coconut milk
- Set a saucepan on to boil.
- Pop a good glug of oil in a frying pan. Chop up the broccoli into chunky slices and fry it for a minute or so in the ginger and garlic.
- Add in all the other ingredients except the prawns and coriander and leave to simmer
- Pop the noodles in the boiling water and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and add to the liquid mixture with the prawns and coriander and season to taste.
- If you like your soups a bit thicker you can add a bit of flour to thicken up.
- Garnish with a bit more coriander
THATS IT – Bish Bash Bosh – 20 minutes max (including prep)! It’s all about simple meals over here.
Note: Equally as nice with Chicken, which I’ll be doing for the kids next time due to Boo’s new found hatred for Prawns.