The picture is nothing to do with Moussaka, I just liked it and pages generally look better with a picture on! Note to self – remember to take photos of what you cook! Sorry!…again.
My Bestie asked me to put a recipe for Moussaka on here and not being one to want to disappoint here it is…..
Great for a family meal as we all love it, the kids tell me every time they see an aubergine that they hate aubergines; when they ask me what the black bits are in Moussaka and I tell them ‘aubergine’, they laugh at me, like they think I’m joking, because apparently they hate aubergine so it can’t be that. I’ve given up and now tell them they’re slugs, they seem to be ok with this?!
- 2 Aubergines (or slugs – not really though, please don’t put slugs in your Moussaka!)
- 500g Minced lamb
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp All Spice
- dash of Worcester Sauce
- glass of red wine (optional)
- 2 tsp marmite (I know this sounds weird, but it works)
- two handfuls of grated cheddar cheese
- 150ml double cream
- Pop the oven on to 180 degrees
- Slice the aubergines into 1cm slices and place on a baking tray, sprinkle with water and pop in the oven for 15 mins
- Meanwhile, in a large pan fry off the lamb mince and drain off any fat
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, worcester sauce, all spice, marmite and red wine to the mince and leave to simmer (sometimes I forget the red wine and still tastes good)
- Season as preferred
- Once the mince is done get out a baking dish and remove aubergines from the oven
- Put one layer of mince on the bottom, covered by a layer of aubergine, on top of this put some grated cheese and drizzle half of the cream over the top of the cheese. Do the same again with another layer leaving the layer of aubergine on the top with cream first and lots of cheese on top of the cream.
- Put in the oven until the cheese on top is brown and bubbling.
Nom Nom Nom.